Before You Connect
Before you connect your device to the campus wired or wireless network, be sure you have all of the following:
- Operating system updates:
- iOS or Android system updated on all mobile devices
- Windows Updates (found by opening the start menu and typing "windows update")
- Mac OS Updates (found by selecting "Software Update" under the Apple menu)
- Antivirus/spyware protection:
Connecting to the Wired Network
Ethernet cables are needed if you are connecting to the wired network. If you do not own one, you can purchase a 25-foot Ethernet cable from your residence hall's front desk for $8.00.
For more information on connecting to the wired network, please refer to the ports activations page.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
To connect to our campus wireless network, you need to connect your device to the "UWECwireless" network SSID. You will use this network across all of campus, including the residence halls. More information can be found here regarding wireless networking.
If your internet connection is not working, please try the following steps:
- Restart your computer or device. Power it all the way down, leave it off for several seconds, and then turn it back on.
- For wired connections:
- *Check that the Ethernet cable is plugged in to your activated port. It should be labeled on a sticker on the wall jack.
- *Look for a "link light" on the Ethernet (network) card on your computer. If there is no light, either the network is not configured correctly or the Ethernet cable may be bad.
- *Try using a different Ethernet cable.