RESCOM SUPPORT - GETTING CONNECTED
Follow this guide to get your device connected to the campus network and the Internet.
Before You Connect
Before your connect your device to the campus wired or wireless network, be sure you have all of the following:
- IOS, Android system updated on all mobile devices.
- Windows updates can be found at www.windowsupdate.com.
- Mac OS updates can be found under the Apple menu, by selecting 'Software Update'
- Be sure you have active and up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. For more information on computer security, please visit our protect your computer page.
Wired Connections   |    Wireless Connections    |   Basic Troubleshooting
Connecting to the Wired Network
Ethernet Cables are needed if you are connecting to the wired network. If you do not own one, you can purchase a 25-foot Ethernet cable from your Residence Hall's Front Desk for $8.00.
To connect to a wired Ethernet port in your residence hall room, it must first be activated. To request to get an Ethernet port activated in your room, please fill out the Port Activation Request Form. This can be done at any time, even before you move in.
- Putnam Hall: Putnam Hall has only two ports per room.
- Chancellors Hall: Each bedroom has 2 ports. Room A has ports 1 and 2, room B has ports 3 and 4, room C has ports 5 and 6, and room D has ports 7 and 8. THERE IS NO AVAILABLE PORT IN THE COMMON LIVING AREA.
Once you have an activated Ethernet port to use, with your computer powered off, plug your Ethernet cable into your computer and into the activated port on the wall. Start your computer up and attempt to access the Internet. If you do not have Internet access please contact the ResCom Help Desk.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
To connect to our campus 'UWEC' wireless network you need to register your device.
If you already have Internet/data access on your device:
Go to the registration system webpage: https://netreg.uwec.edu/.
If you do not have Internet/data access, find the wireless broadcast (SSID) named "UWECregister" on your device and connect to it.
If not automatically prompted, open a web browser to log into the registration system to register your device. If you attempt to go to any other site, you should be redirected to this site regardless.
Once you are on the network registration site, just enter your UWEC username and password and follow the instructions listed based on your device's operating system.
Once registered you can connect to the secure, "UWEC" network. This is the network you will use for wireless access across all of campus. For more help with connecting your wireless device please view these pages:
- Windows/Mac Computers
- Mobile Devices (Android/IOS)
- Gaming Consoles
- Streaming Devices (Chromecast, Roku, AppleTV)
It is your responsibility to abide by this agreement and the University Computer and Network Guidelines. You must keep your registered computer updated and secure. If it becomes infected or compromised, it can be banned or removed from the network until the problem is resolved.
If your Internet connection is not working, please try the following steps:
- Restart your computer or device. Power it all the way down, leave it off for several seconds, and then turn it back on.
- Check that the Ethernet cable is plugged into your requested, activated port. It should be labeled on a sticker on the wall jack.
- Look for a "link light" on your Ethernet (network) card on your computer. If there is no light, either the network card is not configured correctly or the Ethernet cable may be bad.
- Try using a different Ethernet cable.
- Try to find what your device's IP address is numbered. All UWEC devices should have IP's starting with 137.28.x.x